Thursday, April 20, 2006

April 20, 2006

Haven't posted for a few days, not anything earthshaking going on, just busy......the job hunt continues,and yesterday went to Dustin's track meet. In a nail biting moment, he 'scratched' or 'fouled'(out of bounds) the first two of three throws in the shotput.......and then on the third and final throw....he throws the farthest and gets a FIRST place! Wow, talk  about operating under pressure,lol.

Unfortunately, he then didn't even place in the discus....I sometimes think he's feeling the pressure of going all the way to state finals last year as a junior and thinking he has to do it again this year because now he's a senior?And his dad keeps telling him to just ENJOY this last year, and quit putting so much pressure on himself.

Speaking of his dad...he brought the house down with laughter on Easter.ImageEmma and Ben brought April a basket, and Emma brought me a copy of 'Chicken Soup for the Grandmother's Soul".....Tony glanced at it, and asked 'are there any other recipes in it besides for Chicken Soup"....we were all rolling laughing, and I explained that it was a series of inspirational books, NOT cookbooks. Sadly, I fear he's spent too much time around all of us nuts:)

SIGNS OF THE TIMES....While I personally think that homosexual families are wrong(and this is largely based on KNOWING one, and the feelings of the woman's children that they HATE the fact that their mother openly lives with her 'partner') I think what disturbed me most about the gay families attending the Easter egg roll at the White House was that they couldn't just ATTEND......even Tony, who is pretty much a poster child for 'conservative redneck':), said "why couldn't they just attend, and NOT wear rainbow colored leis and bracelets to trumpet the fact that they are gay families?did all the 'traditional' families wear matching necklaces and bracelets to trumpet the fact that they are traditional families?"(ARticle about it here)   

 
I think I've have had more respect for them if they had just attended, without trying to make it into a big political statement.
 
In another 'sign of the times', I noticed while in the checkout line atthe dollar store yesterday that they now have those ribbons like you see for troop support in BLUE and instead of red, white and blue and 'support' our troops'....they are simply blue and say only 'Bring our troops safely home'. What do you think about this change?
 
Lastly, I don't think I have mentioned yet the 'Milblogging conference' that takes place in DC this weekend?   Here's a link, if you want to know more about it.
 
 
I think it would've been cool to get by part of it, but on my limited budget, I guess I'll just visit the 'online' coverage,lol. A lot of these bloggers are folks I have been reading for the past two years, and admire greatly.
 
Speaking of bloggers, 'Totum Depeandent' the blog from Djibouti, has disappeared....either shut down, I suppose, by higher ups in the soldiers chain of command, or changed to a private blog. One of the soldiers that I write/IM with, says they were told they were not allowed to have blogs at all while deployed.
 
And I'm looking for some feedback......when I first saw that movie coming out about Flight 93, I didn't think I wanted to go see it. The memories of that day are etched in my brain. But then after I started reading reviews and opinions about it...I'm wondering if I should see it, as a way to honor and remember the folks on that flight? So if you want to give your thoughts in the comments....feel free!:) (all TWO of my readers,lol)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Flight 93 movie on A & E (watched it twice).  It was hard to watch, but I think it's still important to watch, and I personally will be at the United 93 movie on opening night. In the movie previews I saw in the theater, they interviewed several of the family members of the people who died on the flight and everyone they interviewed said they were ready and wanted this movie to happen. Once I heard that, I felt that it was ok.  I am sort of obsessed with information regarding Flight 93, as Tom Burnett went to my high school and Kirby knew him, and I also know a guy who knew Mark Bingham well, so for me personally - I will see the movie because I tend to devour all the information I can get about it - read all the books/watch all the movies/went to Ground Zero - my way of dealing with it all I guess. Everyone is different.   A portion of United 93 will go towards a national memorial in Washington D.C.:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...t93-movie.html

Families of Flight 93 announced that Universal Pictures will donate 10 per cent of the gross from the first three days to the memorial. United 93 will open April 28. So basically - if you do want to see it and have your money go towards the memorial, go see it in the first 3 days of release.  

Every single person on that flight was a hero. The book Among The Heroes is so good - just to read about how all of those people on that flight were so amazing in real life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info,sis:) Your link is not working right now, but I know when to go see the movie. All four of my readers between the various blogs ahve given comments now, one way or another. If we have the cash, think I might end up going to see it.     And I, too, tend to devour everything about Sept 11. I guess my way of coping also.

Anonymous said...

Oops - I meant to say darn, not dran!  LOL

Anonymous said...

:)  Yes, movies are so dran expensive!  Last night we saw a double feature (yes, we snuck into one - we are bad!) of American Dreamz (BAD!) and Silent Hill (Good, but not as scary as I had hoped).