Tuesday, June 19, 2007

More on my Attempt to get to work yesterday

I haven't been able to find a news story yet about the wreck, but it's possible I'll find out more when I get to work today, as I work south of here and the wreck was closer to where I work than to where I live.

I was just going to share a little more about when traffic got stopped, as there was a brief very scary moment.

I had actually Just passed the exit ramp off the Interstate that is prior to the one I take to get to work, when I realized traffic was coming to a complete stop. So, I was between the two exits when I was suddenly just sitting,not moving at all.  And I was only a very short distance past the Entrance ramp from the previous exit....several cars began to come down the entrance ramp and then realized that traffic wasn't moving.

After I'd been sitting for a short while, I turned off the AC and the car. A young man in another vehicle that had just entered from the ramp had pulled over to the side. I saw him go back and talk to a trucker parked behind me, and then the trucker walked past me to speak to a trucker just ahead of me. The young man who had spoken with him, turned on his flashers and Backed up on the side of the Entrance ramp, to get off the Interstate.

(I considered trying this myself,LOL, but figured the odds were too great that someone would hit me, or I'd accidentally drive off the slight incline up the exit ramp while driving backwards.)

As the trucker began walking back to his own truck, myself and several other people leaned out of our cars to ask him what he knew, and he relayed that a tractor trailer had apparently overturned ahead and traffic might be delayed up to two hours. This is when I called my boss, and she said if I ever got out of traffic, I didn't have to come in.

The trucker was still standing near my driver's side, as I was in the right lane, and he was speaking with several other folks in cars around mine who had gotten out of their cars.

Another car came down the entrance ramp and right up next to us, apparently realizing as he came down that traffic was totally stopped.

This was actually the scariest part of the whole episode....as the man in the car, with windows rolled up, began Screaming and Cursing so loudly that we could all hear him, and Pounding on his dashboard.

The trucker's eyes got wide, and I know MY eyes were probably bugging out of my head, and I raised my eyebrows and quietly said "road rage" and the trucker just as quietly said back to me "THOSE are the kind of people that, if they have a gun in their car, heaven knows what they will do." I replied nervously "Yeah, I'm sitting here wondering if I need to duck, or just get out of the car."

(As I told Tony when I got home....when a big ol' trucker looks scared, I figure it's time to be scared.)  The man's tirade was Really UGLY, I won't repeat the cuss words, but he did holler at one point "If this is because of a wreck, I hope someone DIED!" Very disturbing. About 6 of us sitting or standing around were both trying Not to make any eye contact with this ranter, and also trying to keep a nervous eye on him at the same time.

I said to the the trucker "He's close enough that he could do what that other fellow did, and back up back the Entrance ramp....but I'll be darned if I want to go suggest that to him."

After several more minutes of shouting and cursing, apparently the ranter finally figured this out himself, and did just that....put on his flashers and backed up the entrance ramp.

Everyone around there breathed a sigh of relief, and myself and several others finally got out of our cars and we were just milling around chatting on the Interstate.  Our main topic of discussion wasn't the wreck, but the guy who had been going ballistic. No one could see any sense in getting THAT worked up, and we all agreed that it had been very nerve wracking and scary.

I spoke briefly with a young man who's serving in the military (go figure,lol:) and the trucker and a couple of other folks....April was saying 'how cool' when I got home and relayed the story, that we were all standing around chatting on the Interstate like we were at a picnic or something.

Finally, it looked like traffic ahead was starting to inch forward, so we all wished each other good luck and returned to our cars.

Just a brief interlude from my day yesterday.  I do hope the driver in the wreck wasn't injured, but since traffic was totally stopped for almost an hour, and then only moving very slowly, I don't think the news will be that good.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt the news on those in the wreck is too good, either (unless it was a big over turned truck, then possibly it took longer to move the truck than injured people and investigations).  To wish someone died?  Yes, that's very scary that anyone would feel so incensed.  I don't like delays, either.  I didn't know there was MAJOR construction near us this weekend, and was late watching my DD's first dance in a competition.  I hated that.  However, it's part of life.  Patience is good sometimes (preknowledge would have been best so I could plan around it).  Accidents happen.  I'm glad you and the others you chatted with our safe.  I hope that one driver gets help sometime for his obvious internal anger.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was hoping also that it just took a long time to move the truck. I checked the newspaper for that area online, and didn't see anything, either, before I posted.
So maybe that means good news, I hope.
Although,sadly, wrecks on our stretch of the Interstate are so common that sometimes it never even makes the paper Unless there's a fatality.

"pre-knowledge"? yeah, lol...I sat there the whole time mentally kicking myself...If I had noticed just that split-second Sooner that traffic was halting, I could have exited on the previous ramp.

But, such is life. I wasn't going to wax all philisopical, but it was another obvious lesson on 'the best laid plans' often go awry, thru no fault of our own.
Kathi