Saturday, November 15, 2008

Musings about AOL Shutdowns

So I stumbled across this last night
X-drive to go as well

(on the J-Land Central blog, which is an information blog for former users of the AOL Journals,which were shut down the end of October.)

Since the AOL blog/journal shutdown, I've had serious concerns about how long AOL itself is going to be around?

Imagine my chagrin, on trying to research some more this morning.....to find out that there were news/blog posts back in JULY, from a leaked memo, about AOL shutting down numerous services
Click here: AOL To Shutter a Slew of Products - Seeking Alpha

It sure as heck would've been nice to know this back in July, as we AOL Journal users weren't notified till several weeks before the shutdown that the Journals/Blogs were shutting down. But, why would it have occurred to me to research this back in July?

Who sits around and says to themselves "wonder how my ISP is doing?"LOL.

I came across this recent October post about the state of AOL
Click here: Deccan Herald - Yahoo closing in on AOL buy

(and I also think I don't really know the correct search terms to use, to try and discover more about the future of AOL? so any suggestions there would be much appreciated.)

btw, This blog has ended up being a good source of information
anti aol

as I came across it several times while pulling my hair out about AOL Journals shutting down, and also came across it again while checking out the X-drive shutdown
Click here: Anti-AOL - AOL closing down Xdrive, Bluestring and AOL Pictures by Dec.31st.

(since our family was Using X-drive , I was trying to research more about the shutdown.

for those who don't know, X-drive was on online storage provider for photos and videos, at least that's what we used them for, to have one central place for our family to share pics and video privately.)

I foresee the last few members of my family (including myself) that are using AOL to slowly start pulling away from using AOL altogether....which means I also need to start transferring 'favorite' links and decide on another main email service for us to use.

all of which, pardon my language, is starting to look like a giant bite in the shorts. in addition to all the troop support stuff I do online, I now have to find time to start preparing for Another major move of information, plus figure out...can I change all my sign-up email passwords on all the various services I use? in case AOL entirely kicks the bucket?and...what's going to happen to AOL Instant Messenger?

sometimes....the 'joys of the Internet" Aren't really very joyful,lol.

Catch you later!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, would have been nice to know about Xbox sooner, but at least you found out now so more time to move stuff. I think Dad would probably like Yahoo mail better than Gmail, because it looks more like AOL. We have two Yahoo addresses and one gmail address, so would have to decide. I think I weill be gin moving email names and favs to both now, tho, so i can decide which to make my primary. And end up off AOL entirely, before they close on me.
Mom

Anonymous said...

It is frustrating. I found this blog because I set up a Google alert for Xdrive hoping to learn more. I'm using (very cautiously) one of the alternatives they suggested on the site (ElephantDrive). Real good for backup/access, not as useful for photo gallery type stuff.

Good luck (and nice blog).

Unknown said...

Thanks,Bryan, appreciate the comment:)

ADB said...

I'm actually quite livid about the way AOL have behaved towards their users, I would not think that this was acceptable in this day and age. Money talks, but far too loudly in this instance.

Robin said...

Oh, right...... archiving my photos from AOL photos. Sigh.